Barcelona-Sitges, international rally of veteran cars
Considered as the second oldest race of Europe after the London-Brighton veteran car run, this rally is a race of old cars celebrated each year since 1959 between Barcelona and Sitges.
This is the kind of event to not miss if you like cars manufactured before 1925. Although in the old time, it was a competition, nowadays, it is more a kind of drive just to show them to people. All cars are classified in 2 categories:
And people from different countries, like France, Italy, Netherlands…, come in Barcelona in march to participate
to this rally so I’m talking about well maintained cars made just after the first world war. It is also the opportunity for the City Hall of Barcelona to show its Renault 11HP dating from 1908. If you are wondering if it is the oldest one, no, someone owns a Darracq of 1905 which works perfectly. After all, if it is well maintained, it can last forever !!! Moreover, all pieces are made by hand.
The Renault 11HP has 4,2 meters long and 2 meters high. The body is totally in wood with luxury qualities, a motor of 4 cylinders, 2.120 cubic centimeters with 11 horsepower allowing it for a maximum speed of 55 kilometers/hour. The steering wheel is at the right side and to start it, there is a crank situated in the front.
Most of them have no brake (only handbrake), no seat belt and only 3 gears so if one of the owners will let you drive it, will you ???
Like you can guess, not everyone could buy it in this time, only people with enough money and those rich guys had a driver. One of the curious things is that there was a phone inside the car so by this way, the owner could talk with the driver without screaming.
The rally always starts on sunday at 11h at the sant jaume square. In fact, the event takes place the whole weekend. On saturday, people can see them at the Illa Diagonal mall (avinguda diagonal 557), a kind of exhibition from 10h until 17h.
The next day, they will start to arrive on the square between 8h30 and 10h30. After a nice breakfast offers by the city hall, they will drive from Barcelona to Sitges, a race of 40 kilometers in about 90 minutes. Following the towns and streets they will take:
- Barcelona: sant jaume square – ferran – la rambla – catalunya square – ronda universitat – universitat square – ronda sant antoni – sepúlveda – avinguda parallel – espanya square – gran via corts catalanes – mossen amadeu oller – cerdà square – rambla de badal – constitució
- Hospitalet de Llobregat: constitució - santa eulàlia - enric prat de la riba – barcelona (carretera de l'hospitalet) - avinguda de la fama - tirso de molina
- Cornellà de Llobregat: avinguda baix llobregat via C-245
- Sant Boi de Llobregat
- Castelldefels via C-246
- Costes de Garraf
- and they will arrive at the aiguadolç harbor at Sitges around 12h30
About 13h30, they will leave the harbor to go to the downtown so following the route:
- Sitges: avinguda port d´aiguadolç - emerencià roig i raventos – avinguda balmins - port alegre - rafael llopart – jesús - cap de la vila – parellades – Bonaire - passeig de la ribera – fragata square
They will stay here from 15h to 18h then each one will go either to his home or keep continuing the adventure. So if you don’t want to miss it, be at Barcelona the 2nd weekend of march, for more information, check its official website.