Movies Theme Barcelona
Barcelona is one of those european cities where film and advertising directors and professional photographers like to shoot because of its different neighborhoods mixing between old and modern atmosphere so meanwhile you are walking on the streets of the Ciutat Vella district, you can put yourself in Cristina´s shoes like in the movie “Vicky Cristina Barcelona” directed by Woody Allen.
Other movies like “perfume the story of a murderer” by Tom Tykwer, “todo sobre mi madre” by Pedro Almodóvar, “l'auberge espagnole” by Cédric Klapisch, “manuale d´amore 2” by Giovanni Veronesi, “la ciudad de los prodigios” by Mario Camus, “Salvador Puig Antich” by Manuel Huerga and some more have been filmed in this city so if you watched those movies, some more
have been filmed in this city so if you watched those movies, why not relive the most poignant moments during your stay at Barcelona ???
I will guide you through 4 different places for each movie, by selecting my favorite scenes and trying to not repeat them. You will have to walk in those following district during minimum 4 days:
- Ciutat Vella
- Horta Guinardó
- Les Corts
- Sants Montjuic
Your first day will start when your plane will land at the Terminal 1 airport. Before to go to the downtown, take the shuttle to go to the Terminal 2 where you will discover, on the outside wall, a work of Miro. This big mosaic art has been seen on the Woody Allen’s movie when Vicky (Rebecca Hall) and Cristina (Scarlett Johansson) arrived at Barcelona.
Taking the airport bus, it will bring you directly to catalunya square (last stop) but before that, pay attention when it will enter in the city.
In few minutes, the Sants Montjuic district, you will arrive to a big square with a big fountain called plaza espanya (metro L1 or L3 espanya station) like Franco (Fabio Volo), Manuela (Barbara Bobulova) and their italian friends in the Giovanni Veronesi’s movie.
And at few meters, the espanya industrial park (c/ muntades 37) where Franco and Manuela received an important call from a private hospital.
Near to the square, spot the 2 high towers and look toward this direction which is the Parc de Montjuïc neighborhood because this area has been the scenes for:
- the Tom Tykwer ‘s movie like the poble espanyol village (avinguda de francesc ferrer i guàrdia 13) where Jean-Baptiste Grenouille (Ben Whishaw) was going to be executed and at this moment, he threw a handkerchief with his perfume and all the square celebrated an orgy.
- the Manuel Huerga’s movie like the Montjuic cemetery (c/ mare de déu del port) where Salvador (Daniel Brühl) has been buried.
Few minutes later, the bus will bring you to the university of Barcelona (gran via corts catalanes 585) located at Eixample district where Cédric Klapisch shot scenes for his movie (metro L1 or L2 universitat station) and few minutes more, you will arrive to your destination, plaza catalunya (metro L1 or L3 catalunya station) so time to get off the bus. This is also the end of the first day except if you have stayed in the bus all the time but visiting places with luggage it is not really a good way, much more after a tiring flight so why not start this itinerary the next day after a good night sleep ???
The Ciutat Vella district, for your 2nd day, is famous for las ramblas street and the Raval neighborhood for example which can be seen on the movie “biutiful” by Alejandro González Iñárrituand and places like the MACBA (plaza àngels 1) and the cable railway (passeig joan de borbó 88) which can be seen on the Cédric Klapisch’s movie. Other areas can also be spotted like:
- the duc de medinaceli square where Manuela (Cecilia Roth) and Rosa (Penelope Cruz) arrived by taxi in "todo sobre mi madre" and the merce square which is the place of the birth/death of Grenouille in "perfume the story of a murderer".
- the Llotja de Mar house (passeig d'isabel II 1) and the born market (plaza comercial) in "la ciudad de los prodigios" and the Barcelona biomedical research park (c/ doctor aiguader 88) where Franco and Manuela went to the clinic to realize an assisted fertilization in "manuale d´amore 2".
- the ciutadella park (passeig pujades 10) in "la ciudad de los prodigios", the triumphal arch (passeig de lluis companys) where Franco was dreaming about his future son in "manuale d´amore 2" and La Sagrada Familia (known also as Basilica and Expiatory Church of the Holy Family, c/ mallorca 401) where the girls were taking pictures in "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" at Eixample district.
For the 3rd day, near the catalunya square, you will go to the tivoli theatre (casp 8-10) then to the catalan music palace (palau de la música 4-6) where the flat of Agrado (Antonio San Juan) was located in front of it in "todo sobre mi madre".
The cathedral of Barcelona (plaza seu 3) where Grenouille followed the smell of a young girl in "perfume the story of a murderer".
Walking back to the square to take the metro via the portal de l’àngel avenue, you will stop at the bar restaurant Els Quatre Gats (c/ montsió 3) where the girls met the first time Juan Antonio (Javier Bardem) in "Vicky Cristina Barcelona".
Once in the metro L3, get off at lesseps station located at the Gracia district where you will find the Ramos house (plaza lesseps 30-32), the parents of Rosa (Penélope Cruz) lived here in “todo sobre mi madre”. Then, you will reach easily with your feet the park guell (c/ olot 7) and if you will seat on the bench of the snake place, might be the scene with Xavier (Romain Duris) and Anne-Sophie (Judith Godrèche) talking with a great view on the city, in the movie “l'auberge espagnole”, will bring you some memories.
For the last day, you will discover 3 scenes of the Manuel Huerga´s movie. The illustre collegi d'advocats de Barcelona (c/ mallorca 283) where Oriol Arau (Tristán Ulloa) and Paco (Carlos Fuentes) tried to get a reprieve, then take the metro L5 at diagonal station and get off at entença station to know where Salvador was incarcerated, at the Model prison (c/ entença 155). Behind it, there is the metro L3, so instead to take the same metro station, just walk a little to get the sants estació station and get off at maria cristina station, leaving by this way the Eixample district to the Les Corts district, you will find the Trade buildings (gran via carles III 84-98) where they assaulted a bank.
Once you will finish to visit the area, take back the metro L3 and stop at mundet station where you will go to the Horta Guinardó district, exactly at the Laberint d'Horta park (passeig castanyers 1-17) for the Tom Tykwer’s movie where Laura Richis (Rachel Hurd-Wood) cut a white rose at her window meanwhile Grenouille watched her.
Before to end the day, you may like to visit some extra places, no !!! If yes, go back to the metro L3 and get down at catalunya station:
- by walking up the rambla catalunya street until the number 34, you will be in front of the bleak building of the horror movie “rec” by Paco Plaza & Jaume Balagueró and near to it, where passeig de gracia street crosses the consell de cent street, Uxbal (Javier Bardem) met an african immigrant who was selling blankets on the movie “biutiful”
- and/or by walking down la rambla street, first until the plaza reial for “knockout” by Steven Soderbergh with Michael Douglas, Antonio Banderas and Ewan McGregor then until the Barcelona harbor where Fernando Trueba filmed some scenes for his movie “el embrujo de shangai”.
See Movies Theme Barcelona map in full screen