Barcelona, Sarrià and Sant Gervasi
Each time I walk at rambla de catalunya street to avinguda diagonal street, I can’t miss the building located at the horizon, more when it is night time since it is lighted. Do you notice it ??? Well if you never come at Barcelona, I guess you don’t have any clues about what am I saying.
The building is the temple of "Sagrado Corazón de Jesús" (Sacred Heart of Jesus) at Tibidabo. Since I don’t have kids, I don’t go so often there. Sometimes just to take a great picture on the city because there is an impressive view since it is up to the mountain. Why I said “kids” ? Well because there is a theme park for children and during weekend, it is quite crowded and it is very hard to find a place to park.
There is nothing up there for adult except visiting the church and the Casa Verdaguer museum. The museum is in fact the house of the famous writer Jacint Verdaguer. In my opinion, it is not worth to visit them and if you don’t have kids, the only satisfaction you can have it is to take great photos. To go there, you have 4 possibilities:
- by car, the easiest way is to take via augusta street, go up until it crosses ronda de dalt – general vives street and after just follow the indications.
- by Tibibus bus (only operates when the Tibidabo Amusement Park is open) and it runs between plaza catalunya and plaza tibidabo.
- Tibidabo funicular, it is a transport by cable car (blue tram) from plaza dr andreu to the amusement park.
- by railway tramvia blau, you have to take first the FGC train L7 at plaza catalunya and stop to the last station “avinguda tibidabo”.
The Fabra observatory (camí de l'observatori) is the star observatory of Barcelona which organizes:
- morning tour every sunday and bank holiday (except saturday) from 11h to 12h30, if you want to participate, just go there and be on time.
- night tour each week but the time schedule is different each time so if you want to go, you have to call at (+34)902222191 not only to know it but also to reserve your place.
- group tour if you are a lot of persons, to know more call (+34)934175736 in the morning between 9h and 13h.
- dinner under the stars only during summer time, normally from june 15th until september 22nd every day, for more information and to reserve your table, you have to call at (+34)902109230 during the week between 9h to 21h.
To go there, take the FGC train S1 or S2 catalunya station to peu del funicular station (get in the last wagon because the platform is very short and the first one stays in the tunnel), after the funicular to the last stop and then the bus 111 to mentora alsina stop.
For more information about those public transports, I invite you to check the TMB website.
The great thing to do in this district are the science museum CosmoCaixa (isaac newton, 26) during day time and nightclubs and bars during night time.
The entrance cost around 20€ but it is free the first sunday of each month. There are a lot of things to visit and sometimes, there are conferences that you can participate. I can pass easily all my day inside, discovering extraordinary things, playing with the experimentations, visiting the tropical life which has been built to simulate a fauna... well a lot of interesting things...
To go to the museum, from plaza catalunya, take the FGC train L7 to last stop, after the blue tram (tramvia blau) to avinguda tibidabo (romà macaya-dr ribas perdigó) stop and then, cross the street and walk up the teodor roviralta street located behind the building.
During night time, I like to go to plaza doctor andreu – up to avinguda tibidabo street where I can take a nice cocktail in one of the bars in this place and to enjoy a lovely view of the lighted city. And after around 2h, go to dance at one of the clubbing around this area like Atlantic Disco Sound (avinguda tibidabo 56) to end my night.