Tibidabo of Barcelona, a mountain with many surprises
A lot of people think that at the Tibidabo mountain, there is only the theme park to do. In fact there are a little more which are worth to discover. If you don’t know where it is, just walk up the rambla de catalunya street from the catalunya square and at the horizon, you will spot an illuminated building situated on the top of the mountain. The building is a church with a big statue of Jesus on its roof, just next to the entrance of the theme park.
The basilica and expiatory church of the sacred heart is a church built by the architect Enric Sagnier. In fact, he started to do it in 1902 and after his death in 1931, his son Josep Maria Sagnier i Vidal continued the work and
finished it in 1961. The funny thing is that before, at the same place, there was nothing except a little chapel which is now part of the basilica. Not far away from both places, there are the Fabra observatory, the experimental physic museum , the Collserola tower and the Collserola park. I will start first by the star observatory which the construction was possible with the money given by Camil Fabra i Fontanilles, first marquis of Alella. The project was directed by the architect Josep Doménech i Estapà who built it between 1902 and 1904. Except to see stars, they also do:
- a morning tour. Every sunday and bank holiday (except saturday) from 11h to 12h30, if you want to participate, just go there and be on time.
- a night tour. Each week but the time schedule is different each time so if you want to go, you have to call at (+34)902222191 not only to know it but also to reserve your place.
- a group tour if you are a lot of, to know more call (+34)934175736 in the morning between 9h and 13h.
- a romantic dinner under the stars only during summer time, normally from june 15th until september 22nd every day. For more information and to reserve your table, you have to call at (+34)902109230 during the week between 9h to 21h.
Next the museum, it is situated near to the observatory so it will be very easy to discover it. The project was possible thanks to Ferran Alsina, an economist and industrialist who inaugurated the experimental physic museum in 1907. It is also known as Mentora Alsina, the name is given to pay tribute to Fernando Alsina who gave all his collection of scientific materials after his death. Since it has different time schedule depending of the season, generally during winter time, it is open from 10h to 19h except weekend until 14h30 and during summer time, from 10h to 14h30. For more information, check its official website.
With its 288 meters high, the Collserola tower provides a great view on Barcelona once you will be on its special floor called Mirador (viewpoint in english). Work by Norman Foster, it was built specially for the 1992 Olympic Games in order to transmit internationally the event. If you want to discover it, you can go between wednesday and friday 11h-14h30/15h30-18h (winter time) and 11h-14h30/15h30-20h (summer time). During the weekend and bank holidays, it is opened without interruption. To know more, check its official website.
The Collserola park has no time schedule so you can go whenever you want. Integrated in the Collserola Mountains owning 11000 hectares, the park was inaugurated in 1987 and it is for hiking lovers and for everyone who love the nature. With its 8465 hectares, you can walk during long time and since 2010, the Catalan Government declared the Collserola Mountains as Nature Park. For more information, check its official website (no english version).
To reach Tibidabo, you can either from the catalunya square:
- use a renting car or your own one, just take the passeig de gracia street and always up and after just follow the indication
- take the bus called “tibibus” which operates only when the theme park is open
- take the FGC train L7 to last stop (avinguda tibidabo), then the blue tramway (tramvia blau) or the bus 196 and after the funicular tibidabo
To go back to the downtown, don’t take the bus 196 because it will make a little detour before to bring you to the FGC train.
I almost forgot about the theme park, dedicated for children and family, you will have great fun with your kids, to know more, I will recommend you to check my topic Theme parks of Barcelona.