TOP 10 best areas of Barcelona
Barcelona is made of 73 areas and of course, as many cities, some areas are not worth to visit. Not because they are dangerous, most because there are nothing and more focus on the local life. I have to say that some famous areas and most tourist places are dangerous like the Raval area. This is my list of TOP 10 best areas worth to discover.
- Gracia. This is the area in vogue, attracting local and stranger people. The area gives a feeling of a small village with plenty of shops, restaurants and some clubs including a cinema theater showing only movies in original version (no blockbuster movies). It is on this area that it is celebrated the most famous street festival of Barcelona called simply Fiesta Mayor de Gracia. The busy area is between the virreina square and the vila de gracia square. Metro: L3 fontana.
- Sants. This area is quite local with some tourists since it is very close to the espanya square (a very touristic area). Its particularity is that there are a lot of street events from spring to fall, you will find many places to eat and to drink. The most important one is called Fiesta Mayor de Sants and it is very similar like the one of Gracia. Metro: L1/L5 plaza de sants.
- Montjuic. It is a hill with different sections and many view points to the city and its harbor. The castle, the Olympic area, MNAC, the magic fountain, the botanic garden, Miro museum, Greek garden and more are located on this hill. Metro: L1/L3 espanya metro station will bring you to its feet or take the Montjuic funicular from the parallel L3 metro station to be at the middle then take the cable cabin to reach the top for the castle.
- Poble Sec. This area is close to the Raval but with much more less problems. It is located at one side of the feet of Montjuic with many places to eat, to take a drink and to dance in a club so to have a great night time. The blai street is the most busy one with many tapas restaurants and near some clubs. Metro: L3 poble sec.
- Gotico. Walking in the streets of the old roman city is very pleasant. You will discover a lot of history but also eating places, shopping alleys including a street only dedicated for arts and paintings, clubbings and more. Metro: L1/L3 plaza catalunya.
- Eixample. Eixample is very big and the most famous streets are the rambla de catalunya and passeig de gracia. You will find plenty of things to do, restaurants and shops, all around the catalunya square. This area is a little more expensive than others because you are in the downtown. It is where the airport bus will drop you (last stop) or take you to your plane. For the night time, you have 3 best options, stay near the catalunya square, go to the section between tuset and maria cubi streets and/or go to the area between enric granados and comte urgell streets (near to gran via corts catalanes) known as Gay Eixample . Metro: L1/L3 plaza catalunya.
- Poble Nou. This area has a lot of similitude with Poble Sec, the main difference is that Poblenou is very near to the beach instead to be close to a hill. The rambla de poblenou street is where you will find the most activities, generally restaurants and cocktail bars (for clubbing, they are located around this street not in this street). Metro: L4 poblenou.
- Beach from nova icaria to forum. This area is the most nicer and less people comparing to the other sections of the beach. The section near to the 2 towers (nova icaria beach) is full of restaurants, cocktail places and clubbings. More you go towards the forum, less places to eat at the beach and not very good but at least not so crowdy to enjoy a better sunbath. To lunch or to dinner, the best is to walk until Poblenou or unti the Diagonal Mar mall. Metro: L4 ciutadella vila olimpica.